Archaeological Museum of Rhodes
The Archaeological Museum of Rhodes is located at the center of the Medieval Town, right by the famous Street of the Knights (Odòs Ipotòn). Hosted in one of the most important buildings of the Knights era, the museum has an important collection of findings that date from the Mycenaean era to early Christian time, as well as various typical examples of the arts of the Knights.
This imposing building was originally constructed by Grand Master Jean de Lastic in 1440 and later enlarged by the Grand Master d’Aubusson in 1481-89. It was used as the main Hospital of the Knights of the Order of John also known as Knights Hospitaller. At the center of the building there is a large courtyard where a large lion made from Lardos stone is resting its forepaws on the head of a bull. The courtyard is surrounded by a double portico following a typical Gothic architecture. The ward for the sick was located in the upper floor, while warehouses and stables were at the ground level.
The Hospital was extensively restored during the Italian occupation in 1913-18 and it has been used as a museum since then. The exhibition in the first floor contains altars, sarcophaguses and other objects recovered from Ialysos, statues and steles from Kamiros and the neighboring islands. The famous grave stele of Kalliarista, the statue of Venus, a bathing Aphrodite, the “Drunken Dionysus” and a headless statue of Artemis are just some of its exhibits. On the ground floor there are displays of ordnance from the Ottomans and Knights periods, as well as other finds.
Address: Apellou str. Medieval Town of Rhodes