Rhodes has always attracted the interest of the cinema industry. The majority of Greek films produced during the ’60s feature the beautiful physical scenery of the island. There is also a large number of foreign film productions, including some of the Hollywood finest that where shot in Rhodes. In the recent years a growing number of advertising productions choose Rhodes for its stunning physical scenery. So while in Rhodes, it is not uncommon to find yourself in front of a filming set.
Here is a list of some of the productions filmed in Rhodes:
- De Luxe Tour (1956)
- The guns of Navarone (1961)
- Mikres Afrodites (1963) aka Young Aphrodites (1966) (USA)
- La chasse à l’homme (1964)
- Koritsia gia filima / Girls in Kisses (1965) (USA: TV title)
- Escape to Athena (1979)
- Peter and Paul (1981) (TV)
- Una vacanza del cactus (1981)
- The Dark Side of the Sun (1983) (mini TV Series)
- Pascali’s Island (1988)
- L’Amérique en otage / Iran: Days of Crisis (1991) (TV)
- Rhodes nostalgie / Rhodes for Ever (1995)
- Club Reps (2001) TV Series
- O Jerusalem (2006)
- El Greco (2007)
The guns of Navarone (1961)
This is the most famous film shot in Rhodes. With cast full of Hollywood stars like Gregory Peck, Anthony Quinn, David Niven, Anthony Quayle, Richard Harris, Irene Papas.
The film won an Oscar, a Golden Globe award and had several award nominees.