The Church Evangelismos (Annunciation) is located next to Mandraki Harbor. Built in 1925, during the Italian occupation, it is a magnificent example of Gothic architecture. The decoration elements are all carved from the local, very characteristic sand stone. The same stone is used in the Mediaeval Town and the most important buildings of the modern city. It is similar in design to St. John Church located in Old Town. This church is also dedicated to St. John. The interior is decorated with fantastic byzantine murals by Fotis Kontoglou.