The town of Rhodos is located at the most northern point of the island. Mandraki is the town’s old seaport, now mainly used as marina. In its entrance, you can admire the two sculpted deers that stand out and opposite there are the old picturesque windmills and Saint Nikolaos’s firehouse. It is believed that this is the place that once stood the famous Colossus of Rhodes.
The town is great for shopping, has a lot of all the types of restaurants and an active nightlife. It has a truly international feel as people from all around the world choose the island for their holidays. Many buy houses here and enjoy the fine weather, and a peaceful easy going way of life.
Visitors can find all the known chains like Zara, Marks & Spencers, BHS, McDonalds, Pizza Hut and of course all the great clothing brands from Versace to Billabong. The commercial center is mainly located around Cyprus Square, where numerous stores, offices, banks, restaurants, cafes and bars are concentrated. The center has fine pedestrian streets, a lot of parks and old buildings to admire, coming from various periods.
Some of the most characteristic buildings from the Italian period (1915-1944) are:
- The New Market (Mandraki)
- The Perfecture
- the National Theatre
- The Church of the Annunciation (Evangelismos)
- the Bank of Greece
- the Court
- the Post Office
- the Aktaion cafeteria
- and the legendary Hotel of the Roses (now converted into a luxurious Casino)
Other buildings of particular interest in the town center are:
- the Mourat Reis monument and its minaret. Lies next to the Casino and it is a stub of the Ottoman mastership.
- The Rhodes Aquarium a built during the Italian occupation, one of the oldest aquariums in the mediterranean still visited by thousands of tourists every year, situated in the most north point of the city.
Just 1,5 km from the town center on the hill of Saint Stephanos (or Monte Smith) overlooking the town and the bay of Ixia, lies a marvelous archeological site, the Acropolis of Rhodes with the temple of Apollo and its ancient Stadium. At the top, walkers go by and enjoy the superb sunset blended with the panoramic view of the bay and the city below.